Friday, July 3, 2009

Garlic Scape Goodness

It's that time of year again-Garlic Scape harvest time!  What is a garlic scape you ask?  The scape is the stem from which the seed head of the bulb is formed.  As the bulb grows and matures (and we have 15,000 of them!), garlic stalks begin to lengthen and curve.  

The garlic scape has a great deal of flavor and makes for a delicious ingredient if used while still tender.  As the plant matures, the scape gradually straightens and becomes tougher.  As part of the Cutting Veg's Global Garlic Project, we harvest the scape while it is young and tender so that you can enjoy it at its peak flavor.  It makes for a delicious pesto or as an addition to stir fries and soups.

We hope you enjoy this beautiful part of the garlic plant!





1 comment:

  1. There are so many scapes needing plucking on the farm that I took home around 80 today.

    I made three things:

    1. Freezer "sofrito" as per Daniel's suggested method. (chop, blend and freeze in a ziplock)

    2. Scape and Flax seed pesto:

    I blanched 350 grams (just under a pound) of scapes, blended with 1/2 cup flax seeds, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp sea salt.

    It made 2 small preserves and 1 small jar for the fridge. I'll probably keep the preserves at the back of the fridge just in case.

    It's yummy, a bit nutty and crunchy, and maybe too healthy (?)

    3. Garlic flower tincture:

    I did not want to eat the tougher flower heads from the tips of the scapes, but I did not want to waste them either, so I decided to make Garlic flower tincture.

    A tincture is made by macerating (soaking) an herb in some amount of water and alcohol (or glycerine) for several weeks, then pressing the liquid out and discarding the marc(the spent plant material). Macerating is an ancient technique for extracting the medicine from a plant.

    ~
    It's getting tougher to keep up with the processing after the harvesting. I often feel like napping around 3pm after a farm shift. I still have beet greens (from the last thinning of the beet bed) and Kale to process. I know I'll be glad that I did, but man I'm zonked.

    over and out.

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete