I want to tell you about one of the coolest projects with which I've ever been involved. The Backyard Farm and Market at Erin Mills is a small, urban farm and farmers' market in Mississauga, Ontario. An urban agriculture hub for the GTA, The Backyard provides opportunities for people to learn about (and delight in!) all aspects of the food system --- from growing to cooking to eating to sharing. The site features a straw-bale veggie garden, a compost demonstration site, a zero-waste outdoor kitchen, natural kids play spaces, and lots of visiting wildlife! The market runs on Saturdays from 10am to 2pm (starting June 8th).
Garden Jane (www.gardenjane.com), The Cutting Veg, and The Daniels Corp (cutting edge developers with an appetite for sustainable urban agriculture) are all collaborating to make it happen. The Backyard is in the very early stages of getting set up, and we could use your help! We will be welcoming volunteers to help build the farm on four days over the next two weeks:
- This holiday Monday, May 20th, 9am-3pm
- Friday, May 24th, 9am-3pm
- Tuesday, May 28th, 9am-3pm
- Sunday, June 2nd, 9am-3pm
- lunch, snacks, and lots of water
- lots of layers to adapt to the changing weather conditions. A raincoat and rainpants are essential, if there is any chance of rain.
- protect yourself from the sun: hats, sunscreen, etc are strongly advised
- your friends and family
- gloves and tools are provided